Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 ... 1439» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


is an early 14th-century moated country house three miles (5 km) south of Ripon, North Yorkshire, England in the civil parish of Markingfield Hall. The population of the civil parish taken at the 2011 Census was less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Markington with Wallerthwaite. It is one of the finest surviving English country houses from that time.

The house is an L-shaped castellated block, with a great hall that stands upon an undercroft and was originally reached by an exterior stone staircase. It is lit by two double-light windows with quatrefoil transom under their arched heads.

The house is open for public tours during specific periods, for groups by appointment, and is also available for weddings.

History

Markenfield was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, when there were two households.

In 1150 the estate belonged to the Le Bret family who adopted the name de Markenfield. A house existed on the site at that time.

The present house was built by John de Markenfield, an associate of Piers Gaveston and a servant of Edward II. A licence to crenellate was issued for Markenfield in 1310, the same year that John was appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sir Thomas Markefield was appointed High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 1484 and fought with Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth. In 1569 Thomas de Markenfield was involved in the pro-Catholic Rising of the North and was forced to flee to the Continent. Markenfield was confiscated and granted to Thomas Egerton, Master of the Rolls.

Egerton never made Markenfield his principal residence, and it devolved to a rented farmhouse, whilst preserving its features. In 1761 the house was bought by Fletcher Norton, 1st Baron Grantley, who replaced the roof of the Great Hall and ensured that the house was structurally sound once more. It descended to the 7th Lord Grantley who began a restoration project in 1980 to convert the hall from a farmhouse into a family home.

The estate was historically an extra parochial area, which became a civil parish (with the alternative spelling Markingfield Hall) in the West Riding of Yorkshire in 1858. The estate has remained a separate civil parish, since 1974 in the Harrogate district of the new county of North Yorkshire. The population of the civil parish is estimated at 10.

More images, history & sources ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markenfield_Hall


Markenfield Hall




Owner/Source"Markenfield Hall" abstracted, accessed & downloaded Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 by David A. Hennessee, info@classroomfurniture.com, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markenfield_Hall
File namemarkenfield_hall.jpg
File Size51.41k
Dimensions640 x 480
Linked toFamily: Markenfield/LNU (F17241)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 ... 1439» Next»     » Slide Show