1563 - 1606 (~ 43 years)
||Charles Blount |
||Derbyshire, England [1, 2]
||Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland  |
||3 Apr 1606
||Gloucestershire, England 
||The Hennessee Family
||14 Nov 2016 |
||James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy, b. 0___ 1533, Derby, Derbyshire, England , d. 10 Oct 1582, Hook, Dorsetshire, England (Age ~ 49 years) |
||Catherine Leigh, b. 0___ 1539, St. Oswalds, Yorkshire, England , d. 0___ 1577, Shoreditch, London, England (Age ~ 38 years) |
||17 May 1558 [3, 4, 5, 6]
||Penelope Devereux, b. 0Jan 1563, Chartley Castle, Staffordshire, England , d. 7 Jul 1607 (Age ~ 44 years) |
||20 Dec 1605
||London, Middlesex, England 
| ||1. Ruth Devonshire, b. 0___ 1600, Selling, Fabersham Hundred, Kent, England , d. 0___ 1694, Manokin, Somerset County, Maryland (Age ~ 94 years)|
||27 Apr 2017 |
- Charles "Eighth Baron Mountjoy, Earl of Devonshire, Lord-lieutenant of Ireland" Blount
Born 1563 in Derbyshire, Englandmap
Son of James Blount and Catherine Leigh
Brother of William Blount
Husband of Penelope (Devereux) Blount — married 20 Dec 1605 in Abbey, London, Englandmap
Father of Mountjoy Blount, Ruth (Devonshire) Tilghman, Elizabeth Blount and St. John Blount K.B.
Died 3 Apr 1606 in Gloucestershire, Englandmap
Profile manager: Crickett Lile private message [send private message]
Blount-426 created 8 Oct 2011 | Last modified 29 Jan 2017 | Last edit:
29 Jan 2017
05:41: Chris Little edited the Biography for Charles Blount. [Thank Chris for this]
This page has been accessed 1,195 times.
1.1 Family and Education
Charles Blount was born in 1563.
In 1594, Charles' brother, William seventh Baron Mountjoy, died and Charles succeeded him as eighth Baron Mountjoy.
Charles was created Earl of Devonshire in 1603 in reward for his services as Lord-lieutenant of Ireland.
Lord Charles Blount eighth Baron Mountjoy, first Earl of Devonshire, died in 1606, and having previously parted with most of his estate, left Thurvaston in his will to his natural son Mountjoy Blount.
Unto A Lady, by Mildmay Fane, 2nd Earl of Westmorland
Family and Education
b. 1563, 2nd s. of James, 6th Lord Mountjoy, by Catherine, da. of Thomas Lee of St. Oswalds, Yorks. educ.Winchester scholar 1573; Oxf.; Clifford’s Inn; M. Temple 1579. m. 26 Dec. 1605, Lady Penelope Devereux (d. 7 July 1607), da. of Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex, div. w. of Robert Rich, 3rd Baron Rich, 2s. 2da. all illegit. 1 posth. ch. Kntd. 1587; KG 1597; suc. e. bro. as 8th Lord Mountjoy 1594; cr. Earl of Devonshire 1603. 
Charles had no legitimate children. He did have illegitimate children:
Mountjoy Blount who was later created Earl of Newport.
? 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J Charles Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol III The Hundreds of Appletree and Repton and Gresley, (Chesterfield: W Edmunds, 1877), https://archive.org/stream/notesonchurcheso03coxjiala#page/8/mode/2up pp.8.
? The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1558-1603, ed. P.W. Hasler, 1981 
- [S9936] "Ruth (Devonshire) Tilghman (1600 - 1694)" biography, accessed & downloaded November 14th, 2016 by David A. Hennessee, h.
- [S9937] "Charles Blount (1563 - 1606)" biography, accessed November 14th, 2016 by David A. Hennessee, https://www.wikitree.com/w.
- [S9938] "Family Tree & Genealogy Tools for Charles Blount", pedigree, accessed November 14th, 2016 by David A. Hennessee, https:.
- [S10193] "Catherine Leigh (1539 - 1577)" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 by David A.
- [S10195] "James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 by Davi.
- [S10529] "Thomas Lee, MP" biography, which was abstracted, downloaded and published Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 by David A. Hennes.