1564 - 1619 (~ 55 years)
||Dorothy Devereux |
||Countess of Northumberland |
||Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England [1, 2, 3]
||3 Aug 1619 [1, 3]
||Petworth, Sussex, England 
||The Hennessee Family
||24 Sep 2013 |
||Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex, b. 16 Sep 1541, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England , d. 22 Sep 1576 (Age 35 years) |
||Lettice Knollys, b. 8 Nov 1543, Rotherfield Greys, Oxfordshire, England , d. 25 Dec 1634, Drayton Bassett, Staffordshire, England (Age 91 years) |
||1561-1562 [4, 5]
||Henry Percy, 9th Earl of Northumberland, b. 27 Apr 1564, Tynemouth Castle, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England , d. 5 Nov 1632 (Age 68 years) |
||England [1, 2]
| ||1. Dorothy Percy, b. 0Aug 1598, Northumberlandshire, England , d. 19 Aug 1659, Penshurst, Kent, England (Age ~ 61 years)|
||24 Apr 2017 |
Dorothy "Countess of Northumberland" Devereux Percy
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Death: Aug. 3, 1619, England
Dorothy Percy, Countess of Northumberland, was born in c. 1561, the daughter of Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex, and Lettice Knollys, lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth I. Her siblings included Robert, 2nd Earl of Essex, Queen Elizabeth's favourite who was executed for treason in 1601, and Penelope, Lady Rich, later the Countess of Devonshire.
Dorothy married Thomas Perrot, 1st Baronet of Haroldston, son of the Lord Deputy of Ireland John Perrot. They had three daughters before Thomas's death in 1594. In the same year, she married Henry Percy, 9th Earl of Northumberland. The marriage had varying levels of success; despite separation after a row, the couple later reconciled, and Dorothy visited her husband frequently while he was in the Tower of London.
Dorothy died on August 3, 1619, and was buried at St Mary's, Petworth, near the family home Petworth House. Her death greatly affected the Earl, who was not released until 1621.
Walter Devereux (1540 - 1576)
Lettice Knollys Dudley (1543 - 1634)
Thomas Perrot (1553 - 1594)*
Henry Percy (1564 - 1632)*
Penelope Perrot Naunton (____ - 1654)*
Dorothy Percy Sidney (1598 - 1659)*
Lucy Percy Hay (1599 - 1660)*
Algernon Percy (1602 - 1668)*
Penelope Devereux (1563 - 1607)*
Dorothy Devereux Percy (1564 - 1619)
Robert Devereux (1566 - 1601)*
Walter Devereux (1569 - 1591)*
Robert Dudley (1579 - 1584)**
St Mary the Virgin Churchyard, Petworth
West Sussex, England
Plot: Percy family vault
Created by: Peter Symonds
Record added: Jul 25, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 55411182
- [S51509] http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/ahnentafel.php?personID=I133312&tree=00&parentset=0&generations=9.
- [S10387] "Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 by Dav.
- [S10181] "Dorothy "Countess of Northumberland" Devereux Percy" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Thursday, February.
- [S10386] "Penelope Blount, Countess of Devonshire" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 b.
- [S10388] "Lettice Knollys" biography, abstracted, downloaded and published Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 by David A. Hennessee, in.