Family: Sir Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland/Ann Digby (F13625)

m. 10 Jun 1655


Family Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Father | Male
    Sir Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland

    Born  5 Sep 1641  Paris, France Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  28 Sep 1702  Althorp House, Brington, Northamptonshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried    St. Mary the Virgin with St John Churchyard, Great Brington, Northamptonshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Married  10 Jun 1655  [1]  St. Vedast's Church, London, England  [1] Find all individuals with events at this location
    Father  Henry Spencer, 3rd Baron Spencer-1st Earl of Sunderland | F13624 Group Sheet 
    Mother  Dorothy "Sacharissa" Sydney, Countess of Sunderland | F13624 Group Sheet 

    Mother | Female
    Ann Digby

    Born     
    Died     
    Buried     
    Father   
    Mother   

    Child 1 | Male
    Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl of Sunderland

    Born  23 Apr 1675   
    Died  19 Apr 1772  Sunderland House, Piccadilly, London, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Buried    St. Mary the Virgin with St John Churchyard, Great Brington, Northamptonshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Spouse  Anne Churchill | F13626 
    Married  2 Jan 1699  St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location

  • Photos
    Althorp House was built by Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland , in 1688 and burial site for Princess Diana
    Althorp House was built by Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland , in 1688 and burial site for Princess Diana

    The estate has been the ancestral home of the Spencer family since the 16th century. Their fortune derived from its earliest known ancestor, Sir John Spencer of Wormleighton , Warwickshire, who bought Althorp in 1508 from the Catesby family with the huge profits from his sheep-rearing business.The house was originally a red brick Tudor building but its appearance was radically altered in the 18th century when the architect Henry Holland was commissioned to make extensive changes starting in 1788.

    The interior of the house is generally considered its strongest asset as the Spencer family has assembled an impressive collection of portrait art including several pieces painted by the Flemish master Anthony van Dyck. One of the rooms in the estate is called the Queen Mary bedroom, which was used by Queen Mary and George V during their visit to the estate in 1913.

  • Sources 
    1. [S51318] http://famouskin.com/princess_diana/_princess_diana_family_tree_ahnentafel.php?ahnum=512.